ABOUT ME AND THIS BLOG.

Santa Fe, Santa Fe, Argentina

Blog Archive

23/10/2017

Narrative tenses: simple past- past continuous and past perfect.

Try to complete this story using appropriate verbs in the SIMPLE PAST, PAST CONTINUOUS OR PAST PERFECT.

drink up – raise – open - have – decide - need – discover -not normally spend – hate - be – save - look (2 - smile – know  – turn -  remember - want

Many years ago I 1……………………………. to spend New Year’s Eve with my family.  I 2 …………………………………. new year with my parents but I had nowhere to go, and being with my family seemed preferable to being on my own.
When my parents 3 …………………………… the door I could see they 4…………………………. , and that they were genuinely happy to see me. I 5 ……………………. addicted to heroin for 10 years, and for them, seeing me was the confirmation that I wasn’t dead in an alley. Unfortunately, I 6 …………………………… nothing new or exciting to tell them, just the same sad old stories. I 7 ……HAD BEEN GOING… from crappy job to crappy job, being invariably sacked, and I 8 ………………………. to crime whenever I was out of money.
During dinner, I 9 ……………….. several glassfuls of whisky and I had to go to the bathroom once to do some heroin. I 10 ……………………………… something to make me feel better, because for the whole evening my sisters 11…HAD BEEN LOOKING ....  at me with such contempt that it was unbearable. My own sisters 12 ………………………… me. Then I had a moment of realisation; I 13 ………………………………that they would never hate me as much as I hated myself.
When we finished dinner I 14 ………………………. my glass and said “I’m going into rehab”. My parents 15 …………………………….at me with some kind of hope. Parents never lose hope. But my sisters just 16 ……………………………….. down with disdain. They 17 ……………………………….perfectly well, that I had been in rehab centres many times before, and that this time wouldn’t be different.

It was different. After that day, I 18…………………………..  that look in my sisters’ eyes every day, every time I 19 …………………….. to shoot some heroin.  10 years later, on a New Year’s Eve, I thanked my sisters because they 20 …………………….. my life. They kissed me with their new look in their eyes, the look of love.  

No comments:

VISITORS TO THE BLOG.

free counters