ABOUT ME AND THIS BLOG.

Santa Fe, Santa Fe, Argentina

Blog Archive

03/06/2009

SIMPLE PRESENT:THEORY AND EXAMPLES.

To form the Present Simple Tense we use the infinitive(go, work, speak, study).
In 3rd person singular (he, she, it), the base form of the verb takes -s/es.
Affirmative form
I /you /we/ they work-go-watch-play-study
he/she/it works /goes /watches /plays /studies
Remember:
to be I am you/we/they are he/she/it is
to do I/you/we/they do he/she/it does
to have I/you/we/they have he/she/it has
....................................
Negative form
I/ you/ we/ they DO NOT /don't WORK
he/she/it DOES NOT /doesn't / WORK
1. She doesn't often go to the cinema.
2. I don't get up early at the weekend.
3. They don't speak English very well.
........................................
Interrogative form
DO you/I/we/they WORK?
DOES he/she/it WORK?
.....................................
Questions and short answers:
Do you like spaghetti?Yes, I do.No, I don't.
Does she know Bulgarian? Yes, she does.No, she doesn't. ..............................
With Present Simple Tense we often use time expressions such as
always, often, sometimes, usually, seldom, on Saturdays, rarely,hardly ever, never, every day, etc. ................................. Notes about formation of the 3rd person singular (he, she, it):
***If the verb ends in -ss, -sh, -ch, -x or -o, add -es to the base form:
kiss - kisses, finish - finishes, watch - watches, mix - mixes, go - goes
***If the verb ends in consonant + y change y to i and add -es:
study - studies, copy - copies, try - tries, carry - carries

No comments:

VISITORS TO THE BLOG.

free counters